How to Make an API-Based Random Person Generator
We've done it as a screencast for those who enjoy learning from video tutorials.
Set Up Your Development Environment
To follow along with this screencast, we'll first need to set up our development environment. There are three main steps:
- Fork the Spice repository on Github.com. (How?)
- Set up the DuckDuckHack environment on Codio.com (How?)
- Clone your Github fork onto the Codio environment. (How?)
If this is your first time developing an Instant Answer, check out our detailed, step-by-step guide to getting your development environment set up.
Create the Instant Answer Page
If you're just using this walkthrough to learn and practice for now, you can skip this step. This is important only if you plan to submit what you're working on.
Every Instant Answer on DuckDuckGo.com has its very own Instant Answer Page. These are the home base for planning, collaboration, and metadata. Instant Answer pages also show any Github issues and let you know what stage the Instant Answer is in.
- If you're building a brand new Spice, start by creating a new Instant Answer page.
- If you're fixing an existing Spice, find the matching page and click "Create Issue" to let the community know what you're working on.
When done coding, you'll use the URL of your Instant Answer page when submitting your contribution.
Now let's start coding!
Once this is done, you're ready to go! Make sure to click "full screen" and "HD".