Welcome to DuckDuckHack
Instant Answers use the Web's best data to solve searches in few or zero clicks. With your knowledge of the Web and a little bit of coding, DuckDuckGo can show the best possible result for the topics you care about most!
Instant Answers are created and maintained by a community of open source developers around the world so that millions of searches on DuckDuckGo (like who's in space? and tennis help) show a perfect result, above any ads or regular links. Just like the Wikipedia community creates articles for topics -- the DuckDuckHack community creates Instant Answers for searches!
- Use these docs and our help to improve search results for the topics you care about.
- Join our dev list to keep in touch with all the latest news and DuckDuckHack events.
- Become a leader and all-star contributor helping to change the world of search through community!
Create a New Instant Answer
Learn by exploring!
Learn by example! Read through the tutorials for Instant Answers we've built in the past. All of these are self-contained and will get you up and running.
- (Beginner Progammers) Create a programming syntax cheat sheet (see what's available/missing)
- (Intermediate Programmers) Create an Instant Answer that performs calculations
- (Experienced Programmers) Build an API-based Instant Answer
Improve a Live Instant Answer
We welcome new contributors to dive in and improve live Instant Answers. It's a great, hands-on way to learn how things work!
- Start by setting up your development environment
- Tackle some of the "low-hanging fruit" and, "high priority" issues on our Live Issues Page
- Help other DuckDuckHackers with their Instant Answers in development
- Suggest improvements & file bugs for live Instant Answers through the, "Create Issue" button on each IA page
Instant Answers allow you to create your own search results. Here are some examples of what contributors have created. You can see all live Instant Answers listed here.
Instant Answers can be quite dynamic...
...or simply convenient:
Some are just cool:
Many are absolutely delightful and unexpected:
Many are super practical...
...in ways we never imagined:
Some Instant Answers are built from pure code:
Other Instant Answers channel external sources (API requests):
The possibilities are endless. Our community's mission is to cover every topic with a community-generated Instant Answer.
Get in Touch
Want help? Need to think out loud? There are several ways to get in touch with staff, leaders, and community members. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Slack: Join our organization on Slack by emailing us. We should respond within a day.
- Mailing list: Get our developer newsletter (low traffic)
- Meet Up: Meet us at a DuckDuckHack MeetUp group near you - or start a new one.
- Twitter: Tweet at us @DuckDuckHack
- Email: You can always send an email to email@example.com
- IRC: #duckduckgo on freenode
P.S. Let us know if we can improve anything in these documents by opening issues directly on Github.