Welcome to DuckDuckHack
We're a community dedicated to making delightful search results for everyone, often with zero clicks. We do this using existing APIs, external data sets, or just some well-placed code.
Instant Answers are created and maintained by a community of open source developers around the world so that millions of searches on DuckDuckGo (like who's in space? and tennis cheatsheet) show a perfect result, above any ads or regular links. Just like the Wikipedia community creates articles for topics -- the DuckDuckHack community creates Instant Answers for searches!
- Use these docs and our help to improve search results for the topics you care about.
- Sign up for our dev list to get the latest DuckDuckHack news, contribution suggestions and programming tips.
- Join the DuckDuckHack Forum to connect and collaborate with the community.
- Explore how we are Improving Programming Search Results to learn about current projects and how to get involved.
- Become a leader and all-star contributor helping to change the world of search through community!
Create a New Instant Answer
For every search, there can be a great Instant Answer. Use these docs and help from the community to create Instant Answers for the searches you care about or do most frequently!
If you'd like to help us with something specific, we're aiming to have multiple Instant Answers for every programming language and framework. Help us by starting here.
Learn by exploring!
Learn by example! Read through the tutorials for Instant Answers we've built in the past. All of these are self-contained and will get you up and running.
- (Beginner Programmers) Create a programming syntax cheat sheet.
- (Intermediate Programmers) Create an Instant Answer that performs calculations.
- (Experienced Programmers) Use your favorite API to build an Instant Answer.
Improve a Live Instant Answer
We welcome new contributors to dive in and improve live Instant Answers. It's a great, hands-on way to learn how things work!
- Start by setting up your development environment
- Tackle some of the "low-hanging fruit" and, "high priority" issues on our Live Issues Page
- Help other DuckDuckHackers with their Instant Answers in development
- Suggest improvements & file bugs for live Instant Answers through the, "Create Issue" button on each IA page
- Join the discussion in our forum about how we can improve Instant Answers for programmers.
Instant Answers allow you to create your own search results. Here are some examples of what contributors have created. You can see all live Instant Answers listed here.
Instant Answers can be quite dynamic...
...or simply convenient:
Some are just cool:
Many are absolutely delightful and unexpected:
Many are super practical...
...in ways we never imagined:
Some Instant Answers are built from pure code:
Other Instant Answers channel external sources (API requests):
The possibilities are endless. Our community's mission is to cover every topic with a community-generated Instant Answer.
Get in Touch
Want help? Need to think out loud? There are several ways to get in touch with staff, leaders, and community members. We look forward to hearing from you!
P.S. Let us know if we can improve anything in these documents by opening issues directly on Github.